Monday, February 04, 2008

Smooth Transition...

This past weekend Lila transitioned into her big girl bed. I felt like we really needed to get with it since RSV season will soon be over and Emily will be off the apnea monitor and sleeping in her own room! Therefore Lila needed to vacant the premises!

The first night was a little rough. She was perfectly fine until five minutes after I shut the door and she started in with "I want out" and when that didn't work, "I'm scared". Initially we thought it would make things worse to go in and comfort her but when she started in with the scared thing and I went in to lay down with her. I was surprised to find her still in bed calling for me. She followed directions well by not getting out of bed, but just wasn't too sure about the whole new room/new bed thing. Wayne ended up laying down with her until she fell asleep and then she slept all the way through the night even when I crept in to check on her and take a few pictures in the middle of the night!



The next night was a little harder. We put her to bed easily, but then heard her playing a few minutes later. We debated on what to do and decided that if we kept going in it would make things worse so we left her alone and hoped for the best. She did come out once and told us she wanted to watch tv but we put her right back in bed and that was the end of that. Wayne checked on her sometime in the night and she poppped right up when he walked in so he laid down with her again until she fell asleep.

"I did it!"
Last night I put her in her bed, kissed her good night and didn't hear from her or see her until this morning. I went in around eight to get her up and found her playing with her toys. She greeted me with, "Good morning Mommy, I did it!" Yes baby girl you did! I'm so proud! I've been dreading this transition but so far it's been pretty easy.. let's hope the worst has not yet come! She still takes a nap in the crib so I can keep her contained, but as far as nights go...so far so good!

She is actually quite proud of her new bed rail. It came with a little night light, a cup holder and pockets for books and whatever else you might need handy for a good night's rest! Having all these new cool amenities makes it easier I'm sure... she was probably tired of the mobile and baby toys in the crib!

So... one down, one to go... potty training will be our next big hurdle! Hopefully it will be just as easy?!?!?


post signature

2 comments:

Marli said...

the big girl bed transition is hard! It took us forever with Emma, but then with Abbi it was easier. Just like everything, you practice with your first kid. Haha Good luck with the potty training, I feel for you!

Melissa said...

That is the cutest room I've ever seen! I think she's doing great at the big girl bed. I had to literally sleep in the floor of Aidan's room for him to stay in his bed. We got a gate, but he quickly learned to climb over it. He would end up all over the house. He also loved sleeping with his toys - but instead of stuffed animals they were hard and cold cars and trucks and trains. You're doing great!