Sunday, February 24, 2008

Growing Pains...

I cried Saturday night as I got Emily ready for bed and finally admitted to myself that we needed to retire our 3M jammies and move up to a bigger size. I got out my tupperwares of Lila's old clothes and dressed Em in jammies that I feel like Lila was just wearing yesterday!

The tears didn't stop there as Saturday night was a big night for Miss Emily.. and I don't just mean that she moved up a size in jammies... She slept in her own room in her own crib for the very first time!

She's been having trouble sleeping through the night lately in her bassinet. We thought she may have been waking up when she tried to roll over and found herself restricted in her small sleeping space. What once was a security has now become uncomfortable for Emily and now for me as well. I finally took Wayne's advice and we set up the apnea monitor in her room, put batteries in the remote monitor so we could hear her if she cried, and put her to bed in her very own room. Now I know many of you think it's past time for her sleeping freedom but I have really wrestled with this decision and dreaded this big move. It's a huge step for both of us as this is the first time since coming home from the NICU that she hasn't slept but a few feet from me. I guess any long stay in the NICU will create separation anxiety in any mother!

So this past weekend has marked another big transition in the Allen household. Although Emily's was not as smooth as Lila's. She went right to sleep and even slept through my flash as I crept in a few hours later to document the moment for her baby book. All was well until around 2:30 am when she awoke and had to be rescued and reassured by Daddy. I awoke this morning to my sweet girl nose to nose with her mama in our bed. She did great today for her afternoon nap, although upon waking there were big tears instead of playful cooing.. maybe it just takes a while to get used to new surroundings and a new found freedom, even at the expense of growing pains to Mommy!

So.. here she is...

fast asleep...

in bigger jammies and a bigger bed! : )



post signature

No comments: