Thursday, March 22, 2007

The long story short!

Last Wednesday as I was continuing to monitor my blood pressure at home every four hours I started getting extremely high readings, like 169/105. I should have called my doctor right away but thought it was maybe a fluke and knew I was going to her office the next day to pick up some things for lab work so I rested and waited. The next day in her office my blood pressure was so high they ordered me over to Labor and Delivery where I was given steriods and put on a magnesium drip praying all along my baby girl would be able to stay inside me where she was safe. My prayers were answered, not in the way I had hoped, but in the best way for my baby the next morning when a sonogram showed signs we were in trouble. I was given a second dose of steriods and we waited three hours in hopes she would get what she needed for the best shot at lung maturity. I took a deep breath drawing comfort from the fact that we had three things on our side... hypertension in pregnancy which helps speed lung development, a baby girl (Caucasian girls do well when arriving early), and steriods. We held our breath and welcomed our little one ten weeks early!

No comments: