Monday, April 28, 2008

Iwo Jima Monument






So the story goes...
Harlon Block was a Marine from The Rio Grande Valley. During the battle of Iwo Jima his platoon was sent to raise the flag on the highest point of the Pacific Island, Iwo Jima. Their picture was taken and history made. This monument, in Harlingen, is the original cast that the bronze statue in Washington DC was made from. Harlon Block died in battle six days after the flag was raised. He now lies in Harlingen with this Iwo Jima tribute.

I lived in Harlingen my whole childhood and never actually visited the monument before, although I've driven by it hundreds of times. It was fascinating! I had to marry a history buff in order to take in the history of my own hometown! Lila had a lot of fun running around the monument and didn't want to stand still long enough for a picture but we did manage a few!

*** Shannon just emailed me to let me know she heard there were six men in the monument but 13 hands... the other mysterious hand belonging to God. I'm not sure if it's true, but if so, I love that the sculptor included God's hand.. for afterall He was there protecting them and giving them strength. I'll have to check it out next time I'm there! Thanks Shannon for sharing that lovely image! ***
















post signature

No comments: