Sunday, May 06, 2007

Thyroid Update

Just a quick update on my thyroid situation... My doctor is referring me to an endocrinologist for a second opinion since my case is so unusual. The plan is still to remove the left side of my thyroid since the cyst/tumor is so large. The biopsy and other tests done thus far have come back benign but they are only about 85% accurate and my doctor is still quite concerned because the mass is so large. The only way to know with 100% certainty that the mass is not cancerous is to remove that part of the thyroid and have pathology look at it. The endocrinologist will help us determine what should be done about the right side of my thyroid. It has a small mass but my doctor is hopeful they can save it which will spare me from a lifetime of taking thyroid medication and decrease the risk of damage to my vocal chords during the surgery. More than likely (unless the endocrinologist disagrees) the plan will be to remove the left side of the thyroid and perform a biopsy of the right during the surgery. Should that come back cancerous or inconclusive they will go back and remove the right side a few days later. Again the biopsy will not tell us for certain that the cyst/tumor is benign so this is really the hard part in the decision making process. Ah, What to do?!?!? I've called two different endocrinologists and neither can see me until the third week in May so we have a while to stew over our decision. The good news is we will have several weeks to soak up little Emily and enjoy her homecoming before we tackle yet another phase in this whole process. Pray we will gain new insights from the endocrinologist and the decision will be clear and easy for Wayne and I to make regarding full or partial removal of my thyroid.

By the way... Emily went to see the pediatrician yesterday and got an At on her report card. She is doing very well and has even gained a few ounces since leaving the hospital. She goes back for another weight check in two weeks so we can track her progress. She is taking after her sister, being small for her age, not even showing up on the preemie curve for her weight but we'll get there!!

No comments: